2019 - 2020 Studio Policies
Rates & Monthly Tuition:
Hourly rate: $48/hour - prorated based on lesson length
5% discount for all lessons beginning prior to 4 PM
Monthly Tuition Chart below assumes 35 lessons per year plus 1 additional bonus lesson at no charge for a total of 36 weeks. (Please see studio calendar for detailed listing of lesson dates.)
|Yearly Tuition||Monthly Payment||Early Bird Discount Rate|
|30 minute lesson||$840||$93.33||$88.66|
|45 minute lesson||$1260||$140||$133|
- Weekly reserved appointments (standard enrollment September 1st – June 15th)
- Bi-weekly (available as space allows – generally not recommended for younger students, but can be effective for adult students with limited practice time)
- Space Available (useful for students needing more flexibility in scheduling or wishing to schedule additional lessons as make ups/extra help)
Lesson Times: Standard lesson time is 45 minutes in length, however, 30 minute lesson slots are available for beginners and 1 hour lessons are available for more advanced students or those taking multiple instruments.
Invoicing & Payment: Invoices will be issued at the beginning of each month, September through May, and due by the 15th of each month. A Late Fee of 5% will be assessed on tuition after the 15th of the month. Payments may be made online via PayPal (direct link provided with every invoice), checks (made payable to teacher), cash or credit card at the lesson. Space Available Lessons will be invoiced separately as they occur.
Cancellations: As student progress is dependent on regular attendance, cancellations other than in the case of illness or family emergency are discouraged. Should it be necessary to cancel for that rare scheduling conflict, we offer the following alternatives for making up your lesson:
- 1 built in Bonus Lesson has been included in the yearly tuition plan at no additional cost. (Please refer to the studio calendar for dates.)
- Group Classes for up to 10 students per session are available 3 times a year on Friday afternoons at no additional cost (please see the calendar for specific dates & to register to attend). As these are group setting lessons, the focus is on general music theory, ear training, sightreading and ensemble playing, rather than individual repertoire.
- On-Line Conferencing Lesson (available via Zoom) can be arranged during your regular lesson time at no additional cost – particularly helpful for students with minor but communicable illness or students with transportation issues. On-Line Conferencing Lessons will be used for all students in the event of inclement weather.
- Pre-Recorded Lesson Feedback/Correspondence Learning – submit a video of you performing your pieces PRIOR to your scheduled lesson time. During your lesson time, we will review your playing and send detailed feedback and more assignments for the following week’s at home practice time at no additional cost. This option is particularly helpful for students with an afterschool time conflict, but does require advance preparation and planning on the student’s part.
- Video Lesson - When a student can't make it to their lesson either in person in the studio or via on-line conferencing and it isn't possible to do a pre-recorded lesson feedback session, the teachers will use your lesson time to make you a short video recording demonstrating a new assignment with new music, theory and/or technical skills to accomplish. We will send you that lesson and any required materials so that you can complete the assignment and continue practicing and making progress even when a traditional lesson cannot happen.
- Student Swap List: Some students still prefer an "in-person" traditional lesson and may be willing to occasionally "swap" lesson times with another student, providing more flexibility in scheduling. Students wishing to be included on the Swap List are agreeing to have the teacher include their email & lesson time to be shared with all others on the Student Swap List. Swaps should be arranged parent to parent at least 24 hours prior to the first lesson of the swap. Once a swap has been arranged, it is the responsibility of the parent requesting the swap to send an email confirmation to the teacher so that we know when a swap has been made and can prepare for each student accordingly.
Teacher Cancellations: In most cases, we are able to cover lessons with highly qualified substitute music teachers when one of us is unavailable. In the event of an emergency or when no substitute is available and a lesson must be canceled by the teacher, the students account will be credited based on their tuition rate.
Books, Materials & Other Fees: The teacher will purchase necessary books & materials for the student. The cost of those books will be included on the student's monthly invoice. Entry fees for recitals or special events will also be included when applicable. A one time $50 Student Activity Fee is charged upon registration at the beginning of each academic year to help offset expenses associated with maintaining the student's subscriptions to Music Learning Community/Piano Maestro and other apps, photocopying of materials and music downloads, access to our extensive lending library and other studio resources.
Components of Instruction: In addition to the study of piano, flute, oboe or vocal coaching, all students' lessons will include elements of music theory, sightreading and performance etiquette as we assist each student to become a well-rounded, skillful musician. Additionally, piano students will work to develop skills of accompanying, improvisation and harmonization.
Special Events: Throughout the school year, students will be offered the opportunity to perform in studio classes, mini-recitals, formal recitals and other types of performances in a variety of venues. Students are encouraged to take advantage of these opportunities as they provide a goal and purpose to learning repertoire more thoroughly and developing the skills of performing. Group Classes provide opportunities for students to work on theory games with other students and learn new material presented by special guests and resources above and beyond private lessons. Students are encouraged to take advantage of these opportunities whenever possible.
Inclement Weather: As it is the exception rather than the rule, inclement weather impacting private lessons is handled on a case by case basis. While we do not follow the school system inclement weather closings, all early morning lessons on days that have a delayed opening for Calvert County Schools, will also be delayed by the same amount. Students are highly encouraged to take advantage of the On-Line Conferencing Lesson option on any day that traveling on area roads is unsafe.